Monday, November 4, 2013

What does the Lord require of me?

"What does the Lord require of you? To do justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with our God."
Micah 6:8

I've been thinking a lot about justice lately. We're studying the prophets in church right now and a lot of them are about justice. God values justice and mercy above our ritual attempts at worship. Without justice there can be no true worship.

So what does that mean for me? In our small group we've been struggling with this question. Quickly we become overwhelmed at the vastness of injustice in our world. Human trafficking, prostitution, hunger, war, killings, rape, imprisonment, poor wages, living and working conditions, slavery, the powerful gaining at the expense of those without power. We see it all over, even in our own community. 

I can no longer ignore these injustices. Nor can I remain paralyzed by the overwhelming nature of injustice in our world. I am one of the powerful. I am part of the problem. Yet, solutions are complicated and there seems little I can do to fix the whole problem.

Perhaps that is the problem. I think I must fix everything. I must be "like god". I've begun to think that is not what God is calling me too.

I've been forced to think in terms of my own life and choices, not the problems out there. What am I doing? How am I bringing justice in how I spend my money, in what I choose to buy and eat, or in how I treat the people I come across. We probably all have different answers as to what that looks like. Here are a few of mine.

1. To, where every possible, buy fair trade. There aren't a lot of fair trade products out there and most of them would fall under the wish/want category not the need category. I don't need chocolate. It's a treat. Despite what I might think, I don't need coffee either. Water will do just fine. I'm endeavouring to buy fair trade chocolate and coffee. I just found a source of fair trade tea, Jus-Tea.. (http://www.justea.com/) Yes, they are more expensive but I can afford them. Just giving up a latte or two covers the extra cost.

2. I can donate my money sacrificially. We had an offering this Sunday for World Hunger. At Christmas we donate money to buy goats for Kenya. There are reputable agencies I can support.

3. Christmas gifts. You might have received them also. Gift catalogues from relief agencies. My niece or my friend's kids really don't need another toy or set of markers. In addition to a small gift, I am choosing to donate to the relief agency connected to my church since I know the most about them. Medical supplies for children in other parts of the world will be my gift this year. 

4. Buying goods from factories with fair wages and good working conditions. I was struck by Amos 2:6. "They sell the righteous for silver, and the needy for a pair of sandals." We talked a lot about this because it is really hard to source products like clothes and be sure of what conditions they are made in. None of us are wealthy, so the topic of affordability did come up here. However, I can live with less in order to afford the better choice. One shirt instead of two is not a big sacrifice.

5. Buying local. This pertains to food mostly. I have a wonderful fruit and vegetable market close to where I live. They grow a lot of vegetables themselves. They also source locally or within BC where possible. I'm not perfect about this because I do enjoy that pineapple now and again. I'm trying.

6. How I treat others in my day-to-day life. The checker in the grocery store and the pan handler outside on the sidewalk all deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. I need to acknowledge that they exist as a person instead of turning away or being so absorbed in my own thoughts I barely notice they are there.

I'm sure there is much more I can be doing. The issue of human trafficking keeps pulling at me. I know I need to do some more research about that. Already I know of 2 agencies that work locally and internationally with trafficked women and children. How may I help them?

So I'm coming to see that while I might not be able to change governments, stop wars or act on a global scale I can and must act justly in my life. That is what God is calling me too.I believe this is what God is calling us all to. So that in the words of Amos 5:24:
"But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!"

2 comments:

  1. I think this post says "act like God" all over it. I think this IS the way God acts through Christ, who we are to emulate. When we put others first...when we deny our wants...when we sacrifice for others...when we LOVE. Sounds to me like you are already doing this, and it takes a lot of thought, time, prayer, and faith. One thing I feel God has called me to do is look within my own community for those lost and struggling. They aren't always as "far away" as people think they are. I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing to serve Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Angela ~ This post gives much food for thought. Thank you for thinking these things through and giving a practical list of ways to put hands and feet to the convictions the Lord is laying on your heart. Hmmm....what would the Lord have me to do? Thank you for making me think....

    Blessings to you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete