Saturday, May 24, 2014

GOD IS GOOD!

 I'm clinging on to that right now.

3 weeks ago, a friend's husband died unexpectedly while under anesthesia before the surgery even began. His heart just stopped. It was such a shock. They were in Germany preparing to go to Gambia, West Africa as missionaries. I had prayed for them just 2 months ago as they prepared to leave.

Yesterday I received the news that another friend's husband died unexpectedly due to a work place accident. He fell of a ladder, hit his head on the concrete and passed away. What a shock. What makes it more difficult is that my friend had just conquered stage 4 breast cancer after going through a horrendous year. She was doing great!

Both of these men were young men. My 2nd friend still had 2 little kids at home. My 1st friend's kids are scattered all over. There was no rhyme or reason, no wondering.

How do I respond? How do I begin to process something so shocking, so unbelievable? How do I make sense of it?

I suppose there are lots of reasons we could suggest. There are many theories out there about why good people suffer bad things. These families are good people.

I'm not sure I have any brilliant answers either. However, during my own suffering and crying out whys at the foot of the cross I keep coming back to the end of the book of Job when God spoke to Job. God never answered Job's questions but he did show him who he was.

So I go back to who God is and what I know about God. This becomes my foundation. Here are two things I know and cling to. God is in control and God is good. I pray that becomes the foundation for these two families as they grieve the loss of their husband and father.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. So sorry for the grief of these two losses. Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Angela...I am so sorry that your two friends are facing the loss of their husbands!! I have been *out of the loop* with visiting...so, I just read this now. I am praying for both of these families...and for you as you seek to be a comfort. You are right...the best place to stand is on the truth of Who our Great God is!! The human aspect of the separation that death brings is so very painful. But, the Lord is with His people every step of the journey...until that glorious day when He will call us Home as well. How precious it is to belong to Him! Hugs, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping in to say *hello*...trust all is well? SO happy for you that you were able to have some time away with friends. Happy Fall! Hugs to you, Camille

    ReplyDelete